1st Stop Woodlawn Shelter
At YWCA 1st Stop Woodlawn Shelter, we provide free shelter and support to women 16 years of age and older who are homeless or in immediate crisis. We help women get out of crisis and move on to independence and safety.
What does this program offer?
A temporary place to live:
- private and shared dorm style furnished rooms
- shared washrooms
- 24-hour staffing and security
- breakfast, bagged lunch, dinner
- free laundry
- TV rooms and lounges
- resource library with computers and books
- community garden
- cafeteria, vending machines
- recreational activities and trips
- wheelchair accessible washroom
- 12 transitional beds for up to a two-year stay
- women born in Canada, immigrant women, women with addictions and or mental health issues, women of colour, lesbians and transgendered women make up this diverse and vibrant community
A place to thrive:
- caring staff who help women get the services and support they need
- individual and group support programs
- help to find safe, affordable housing
- help with job search or to return to school
- counselling (e.g. self-esteem, abuse, addictions, mental health)
- ongoing support after women leave the shelter
- current languages spoken by YWCA staff: Mandarin, Polish, Hindu, Croatian, Slavian, Punjabi, Urdu
Who is this program for?
- women 16 years of age and older who are homeless or fleeing violence
Who do I contact?
24-hour phone line