YWCA JUMP is a support program for newcomer women and girls 13+ funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The program helps women and girls explore career options, build skills, search for jobs and integrate into Canadian society.
What does this program offer?
Newcomer settlement support:
- experienced employment and settlement counsellors
- help exploring career options in the current labour market that suit your skills, strengths and interests
- help to learn new skills to find a job
- opportunities to discuss goals and challenges
- one-on-one individualized settlement and employment support
- useful information about the community
- help applying to colleges and universities
- volunteer opportunities to gain Canadian experience and/or meet High school Community Service requirements/hours required to graduate from high school
- youth leadership development
- access to computer lab and use of printer, fax machine and photocopier
- a welcoming women only space
Workshops and training topics include:
To participate in the YWCA JUMP’s training programs and events, eligible participant must be pre-registered with JUMP
- cash register training
- customer service training
- food safety/handling training (to gain skills for working in the food industry)
- writing a resume/cover letter
- job interview skills
- retail training
- restaurant training
- WHIMIS training
- CPR/ First Aid
Special events and trips:
- guest speakers covering a range of settlement topics
- summer or social events/programming for girls (ages 13-30)
- cultural celebrations and holiday parties
- field trips to sites such as the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Royal Ontario Museum
Who is this program for?
- women and girls new to Canada over 13 years of age who are permanent residents or convention refugees, or live-in caregivers
- Our staff speak Cantonese, Hindi, Tibetan, Urdu, Spanish, Sinhalese, Farsi and Portuguese
Check the monthly calendars on the download bar for upcoming workshops, trainings, special events and trips.
Who do I contact?
YWCA JUMP Scarborough
Sahar Haghjoo, Administrative Assistant
YWCA JUMP Etobicoke
Fily Sifuentes, Administrative Assistant