YWCA Arise is a free shelter for women and their children fleeing abuse. We offer a safe, caring home and the counselling and support women need to heal and plan for the future.
What does this program offer?
A temporary place to live:
- a furnished room for every woman and her children
- shared bathrooms
- nutritious meals and snacks (we support families with their health and cultural dietary needs and do not purchase pork)
- a welcome kit upon arrival (toiletries and personal care items)
- secure building with closed circuit cameras
- YWCA staff available at all times
- assistance applying for a personal needs allowance
- access to clothing bank
- indoor children's playroom and outdoor playground
- a community garden
A place to thrive:
- warm staff who specialize in areas including children and parenting, mental health, violence against women, addictions, immigration, trauma and housing
- one-on-one counselling for women and their children
- help to find safe, affordable housing
- help to establish a safety plan
- referrals to lawyers, doctors
- accompaniment to appointments if requested
- help with job search or return to school
- referrals to community resources
- family-based activities and celebrations
- ongoing support after women leave the shelter
- partnership with local schools
- support in many languages through staff and cultural interpreters
- current languages spoken by YWCA staff: Mandarin, Polish, Hindu, Urdu, Croatian, Slavian, Punjabi
Who is this program for?
- for women and their children fleeing violence
Who do I contact?